60s style shift dress attempt

DSCF7193

 

I bought the book Pattern Cutting Portfolio Skills by by Dennic Chunman Lo and set to work straight away on drafting new basic blocks following the method in the book. I think it is good to try different methods of making blocks, or even if you use the same method, it is good to retake your measurements every so often. I know I wanted to make some sort of shift dress so I drafted a basic bodice block and then used the method on page 85 that tells you how to draft a basic dress block using an existing bodice block and constructing the skirt from actual body measurements.

I removed the back shoulder dart and turned it into a yoke. At the front I pivoted the shoulder dart to the underarm dart position. I then made up a toile and decided to unpick the front waist darts for a looser more comfortable fit.

The amazing fabric came from a huge 1970s-style dress salvaged from Les Petits Riens for 2.50 euros. I’m pretty happy with the outcome and now I think I’ll tweak the pattern to make it flare out more at the hemline and maybe make it slightly longer. The only bad part was that I stupidly cut through part of the fabric meaning I didn’t have enough to cut out one of the back pieces so I had to make a slight modification using some different fabric to make up the difference.

You say grave mistake, I say style feature.

DSCF7194 - Copy

Share:

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *